Utah is home to some of the best snow in the country and has no shortage of top-tier ski resorts. On your next winter trip to the Beehive State, visit Snowbird Ski Resort, one of the best ski resorts in the country.
Here’s everything you need to know about Snowbird and the top restaurants, hotels, and lodges in the area.
About Snowbird Ski Resort
Snowbird is located 29 miles from Salt Lake City International Airport, making it one of the most accessible ski resorts in the area. The 50-year-old resort averages more than 500 inches of famous Little Cottonwood powder annually and is home to the longest ski season in Utah.
Snowbird spans 2,500 acres of terrain accessible by the Aerial Tram, ten chairlifts, and three conveyor lifts. There are 140 runs topping out at an elevation of 11,000 feet. Chip’s Run, the longest run, is 2.5 miles long. The terrain is ideal for experienced skiers, though beginner and low-intermediate skiers will still enjoy their time and may benefit from the Snowbird Ski School.
Things to Do Near Snowbird Ski Resort
There’s no shortage of non-skiing activities near Snowbird, with things to do on the mountain year-round. Here are some of the most popular winter activities near the resort.
- Cliff Spa: Cliff Spa is the perfect place to relax and unwind with treatments including massages, mountain healing, energy work, body scrubs and wraps, skin care, facials, and more.
- Avalanche education: Have you ever wondered what you would do in the event of an avalanche? Snowbird Mountain Guides offer a course on mountain safety and avalanche gear.
- Scenic tram rides: Snowbird’s Aerial Tram takes passengers on a scenic 1.6-mile ride climbing 2,900 vertical feet.
- Fly fishing: Who said fishing was a summertime-only activity? Salt Lake Fly Fishing Co. offers year-round guided fly fishing trips for all skill levels.
There are also several bars and shops in the area. Little Cottonwood Canyon is a beautiful area to explore, and you’ll find something for everyone during the non-skiing hours.
Snowbird offers popular ski and snowboard classes for all ages and experience levels, so be sure to sign up online to guarantee an available spot. Classes include:
- Private lessons: Available for riders ages three and up and for all experience levels
- Kids lessons: Group lessons to teach safety and technical skills for children ages 3-6
- Youth lessons: Group lessons for riders ages 7-15
- Adult lessons: Group lessons for first-time and experienced riders ages 16+
- Kids Holiday Camp: An adventure camp for intermediate and advanced skiers ages 5-15
- Adult Snowboard Camp: A three-day camp for intermediate to advanced snowboarders ages 18+
- Women’s Ski Programs: Multi-day ski camps for women ages 18+
Snowbird also offers childcare for children ages six weeks to 12 years so you can hit the slopes at your own speed. Read through the Snowbird ski school information and policies before booking your class to understand what to expect.
Snowbird Ski Shops
Snowbird has no shortage of shops for gear, photos, groceries, and memorabilia. Below are some of the best places to shop around the resort.
- Christy Sports: Located across from the Tram entrance on the third-level plaza, Christy Sports is a one-stop shop for rental and demo gear, ski and snowboard equipment, clothing, footwear, accessories, and more.
- Wings: Wings carries official Snowbird Ski Resort logo merchandise and gift items like postcards, magnets, and shot glasses.
- Snowbird Sports: Snowbird Sports is the perfect destination for anyone looking for demo equipment. During the summer, you can also find the Endless Winter Sale with discounts of up to 75%.
Snowbird Night Skiing
FAQ: Does Snowbird have night skiing?
Snowbird offered night skiing in the past on Fridays and Saturdays. Snowbird canceled night skiing operations for the 2021-2022 winter season. Information on the upcoming 2022-2023 is forthcoming.
Hotels Near Snowbird Ski Resort
Snowbird provides amazing lodging options with beautiful canyon views. Below is a brief overview of the most popular lodges and hotels near Snowbird.
The Cliff Lodge is among the most recognizable and iconic ski lodges in America, with rooms that provide stunning views of Snowbird’s ski slopes and the glacially-carved canyons. Guests on foot can also appreciate the location (within walking distance of the village). With convenient complimentary ski lockers and on-site rentals, Cliff Lodge is an ideal destination for families or corporate events.
The Lodge at Snowbird has a variety of accommodations also within walking distance of the Snowbird Center and the Tram. Guests can choose between standard bedrooms and condominiums with a loft. All rooms feature mountain views, exterior balconies, complimentary ski lockers, wireless internet, a lending library, and games.
At The Cliff Club, guests will find 54 luxury condominiums that can accommodate two to ten people. You can enjoy convenient ski-in/ski-out service, on-site ski rental, an exercise room, wireless internet, and a state-licensed daycare facility. After a day on the slopes, spend some time relaxing at The Cliff Spa in the hot tubs or stretching out in the yoga studio.
Restaurants at Snowbird
A high-quality trip calls for high-quality meals. Several Snowbird restaurants offer the best fine and casual dining of all Utah ski resorts. Consider the recommendations below on your next trip.
The Snowbird Aerie restaurant has the nickname “Cloud 10” for good reason. Exquisite food and stunning mountain views create the perfect atmosphere for those who consider dining a serious occasion. The Aerie Lounge also features live music, a fireplace, and a variety of food and drink specials. Guests must be 21 or older to dine at the lounge.
SeventyOne pays homage to Snowbird’s beginnings in 1971 when the resort first became a powder paradise. True to its name, the restaurant features a retro vibe, an open kitchen, and American grill favorites. Guests will enjoy a 70s twist on comfort food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a reservation to skip the wait.
The Steak Pit is located at the Snowbird Center. It features a menu with something for the entire family. From fresh salads to hand-crafted cuts of the finest steaks, no one will be disappointed with the options. Families will enjoy the top-notch service, delicious food, and laid-back atmosphere
Elevate Your Ski Experience with Wildhorn
At Wildhorn Outfitters, we create experiences that wow you. Throughout our business process—from equipment design to customer service—we aim not just to please but to amaze.
Utah skiers will enjoy our line of skiing equipment optimized around performance and value. With everything from snow pants to snowshoes, safety helmets, skis, snowboards, and more, Wildhorn is a one-stop shop for all your outdoor snow sports needs.